Saturday 10 March 2012

How my late parents influenced my music career -Yeka Onka, Nigerian Idol first winner




Jackson Scott Iwuanorue &Yeka Onka

     


 



 























   By Jackson Iwuanorue
jacksoniwuanorue@yahoo.co.uk
After several rejections at the audition grounds nationwide Yeka Onka, finally emerged winner of the first season of Nigerian Idol music reality TV show in Nigeria.In this exclusive interview with Jackson a reporter with Entertainment Express, the orphan talked about her painful experience while growing up in Aba without parental love, care and support as well as her journey to stardom and many other interesting things about her career and person.

Tell us briefly about yourself and your growing up days?
I was born into the family of late Mr. and Mrs. Gilbert Onwuka, on October 27, 26 years ago.  I came out of a family of five (3boys and 2 girls) and I happen to be the last issue too. I grew up in the popular city of Aba, Abia State, during my childhood   days; I was surrounded by parents who were grounded musicians. My early days as a child was a normal one, because then I had my parents around me. Although, I had a very strict Christian background too, we were living in a Christian kind of village setting where everything we did was regulated, there was fixed time for everything that was to done. I had my elementary at the famous Ogbor Hill primary school, Aba . And I also had my secondary school in Girls High School, Aba. In 2004, I got a diploma admission into University of Calabar to study History and International Relations. After my two years diploma course, I could not continue with school because my parents were no more. Then my siblings took over my responsibilities, but as of then, they were all married. Life for me then was more of like I could no longer move on, because there was not enough money to pay my fees. But thank God in 2010, I was able to work and saved some money to go back to school.
When exactly did you lose your parents?
My mum died earlier when I was 16, but I finally lost my father few years later.
How was growing up without your parents beside you to counsel and advice you like?
I must say the truth; life back then was a very challenging one. Losing my mum at the age of 16 made life a bit tough for me, because that was when I actually needed her most.  Losing her at that age was more like for me learning virtually everything all by myself.  There was no one else to teach me things like when a boy says hi! Or make passes at you; this is how to say respond. You know all those things that a girl’s mum would always teach her daughter. That stage was exactly the time one needs his or her parents to shape your way of life, reasoning, attitude and approach to life generally. Because any decision you make at that particular stage in life might in one way or another decide the kind of future one is going to have. My father was still alive then when my mother passed on, although not very active because he was really very sick.
What kind of sickness was he suffering from then?
He had a liver malfunctioning kind of ill health.
So, how did you cope with life as a teenager without them?
As I said earlier, my siblings were doing their best in taking care of me. Aside the fact that they were married, they tried so hard to foot the medical bills of my dad all through his health challenges till his death. They took over my responsibilities, but you know they were all married too. Life was not an easy one after my parents’ demise.
Considering the fact that your parents died when you were much younger, how did they influence your career in music?
They taught me virtually everything I know about music today. They laid the foundation for me in music before they died, so all I needed to do was to build on that foundation. My father was into highlife genre of music before he got born again. He was a gospel musician before he died. My father was a very good music composer, I could remember him those days, writing songs at mid night. Most times, when I go to ease myself at night, I would see him writing songs with the lantern on. At some point, he would wake me up to give me some basic theory on music. He would tell me, if you are writing a song, see how you arrange your lyrics; every sentence have to connect to the next one, your chorus have to connect to the verse. I have never gone to any music school officially before.
 While growing up; did you get to learn how to play any music instrument and were you in any music group then?
I was in the children’s choir of the Presbyterian Church as a child. I never got the opportunity to join the adult section.  While growing up; I kept learning how to play a guitar, but every now and then, once I get busy, I will drop it. You know how this things work, once you leave them, they will leave you too. My dad tried so much to teach me how to play a piano but I felt he was always going to be around to teach me, but it’s so unfortunate that he left me so early.
 Did you ever have the opportunity to perform in any big concert while growing up as a child?
I was privileged to lead my school in some music competitions we went for. I could remember when I was in J.S.S 3, I composed a better school anthem, thank God the principal of my school approved it and that is what Girls High School, Aba still sings till today as their school anthem.  I have also performed in a concert of about 10,000 persons in a Christ Embassy Gospel Concert.
Last year, you won the Season one edition of Nigerian Idol reality TV show, how has life been treating you after winning the coveted crown?
No girl would touch that amount of money and you expect her life to remain the same! Life has been good, life has began to have better meaning to me now.
There was this gist that you were hopping from one audition venue to another before you were finally picked in Lagos to compete for the Season one of Nigerian Idol?
Yes, I went to virtually all the big music talent hunts/ auditions in Nigerian and I was rejected. Before, I made it to the Season One of Nigerian Idol. I went to Enugu and Calabar auditions and I got No as an answer from the judges. I got my first ever “Yes” in Lagos and thank God I finally became Nigeria’s first Idol.
While you were moving from one audition zone to another, what was your driving force those periods?
You know, there is this thing about one’s dream materialising, you have this deep feeling that something good is about to happen, that something is just around the corner. I must also thank some of my friends who were around me then and encouraged me, I appreciate them so much. My pastor always told me that, when a challenge comes your way, just know that your promotion is just by the corner and also that challenges are platforms for one to ride on in life. Each time, I was rejected; I knew it was more reason I had to push harder. Thank God that all those days of hopping from one audition to another finally paid off. Most of the friends, I can boast that I have today; I met them at some of those auditions i attended in the past.
The moment you were announced the winner of Nigerian Idol Season one, what was going through your mind, did you think you actually deserved to win?
At that moment, it was more like a dream come true, I was like finally this dream came to pass. But the fact was that everyone that made it to the top 13 was good enough to have won. It could have been any other person; because at some point during the competition; I was even thinking I was going to be evicted, but God saw me through. I believe it’s my destiny to be Nigeria’s first Idol winner.
What did you feel or think made you outstanding at that competition?
 I think it’s my vocal dexterity; I had a vibrant good vocal strength and God being by my side.
Growing up as a child who was your role model in the music industry?
Aside my parents, I have always loved and looked up to Onyeka Onwenu. But at this stage, I admire people like Omawumi, Waje, Tiwa Savage, because I also learn from them.
Your single entitled Follow you, was produced by Jesse Jagz, what motivated your choice of using different local dialects in the song and why Jagz as your producer?
I wrote the song myself, I wanted to do something that everyone could relate with, because Nigerians voted for me. So, I had to give back to them something good. The Igbo language I used in that song is not even the central Igbo language, but my native Ohaofia Igbo dialect. I needed to introduce something new to the market. You know people use Yoruba language a lot in their songs. Most times, I sing songs in Yoruba that I don’t know the full meaning, but I just have to sing along. So, in follow you, after wide consultations with some of my colleagues, I decided to introduce my native Ohaofia dialect through my song, so that my fans can also listener and know more about where I am coming from.  As for the issue of Jesse Jagz being the producer, it was Nigerian Idol management that chose him because they wanted the best for me. Nigeria Idol management are not this kind of people that says that a producer is very high-priced; they will look for alternative, No! They go for the best. Jesse Jagz is not the only one producing my album; we also have Cobhams and other good producers too.
In your yet to be released debut album, is there any form of collabo with any top Nigerian music artiste?
I did a collabo with Ice Prince; I am also working on doing a collabo with Wizkid and Tiwa Savage. They will be basically hip-hop, pop and conscious kind of songs.
Tell us know about your marital status; are you in any serious relationship?
No! I am single and waiting. Right now, I am not ready for any kind of marital relationship; I just want to focus more on my music, although, I have guys coming around me.
What are the qualities you admire in a man?
I like a hard working man, humble, God fearing, a man that is taller than me and also handsome.
How do you handle your male fans?
I handle them the same way I handle the females. Although, some of them would want to get so close but I try as much as possible not to sound rude or give anyone an opportunity to say I am a snob.
How do you get inspirations when writing your songs?
I write my songs from daily life experiences, my anticipations for the future. Most of the times, I write my songs according to how I feel at that moment not minding if it’s a good or bad feeling.
Do you have any plans of moving into the movie industry?
Yes, I have plans to venture into the movie industry in the future. Every human created by God is potentially an actor because life itself is dramatic.
 Do you have any regrets from your past?
The only regret is that I lost my parents at a very tender age. In life, there will always be regrets, but I try not to hold on to them.
Where do we expect to see Yeka Onka in five years time?
I believe that every day comes with its own challenges; I also have this strong belief that in five years time I must have left imprints in the sands of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment