Saturday 10 March 2012

How I got Nigerian Idol job -ILlRymz



By JACKSON IWUANORUE
cjscott2k3@yahoo.co.uk

Nigerian Idol presenter Olowu Bardia Adebola popularly known as Ilrymz is a graduate of Mass Communication from the University of Lagos; he is one of the vibrant and emerging TV and radio personalities in Nigeria. Jackson Iwuanorue of EE had a chat with him recently, and he opened up on his life as a presenter, relationship with women, evolving music career and how he landed the anchor man job for Nigerian Idol Season II music reality show.
Tell us about yourself?
My name is Illrymz, I am from Lagos State, and I speak Yoruba fluently. I grew up like every other normal Nigerian child. I graduated from the University of Lagos where I studied mass communication.
What inspired you to go into TV presention?
I’ve a long history in the media; I started off as a model, which was about 10 to 12 years ago. I did jobs for companies like Coca-Cola and Benson & Hedges. My first passion was writing; I started off with the first Nigerian online magazine called The Vibe Weekly. It was for a company called Lifestyle Communication. We had a mobile solutions brand called the vibe download. We also did the first ever album launch in Nigeria. If you can still remember any of those catalogues that you will normally see stuffs written inside like ‘download one ringtone and get one for free’, I worked with that company. I did that for about three years, and then we had a subscriber base of over 60,000 weekly; because it was an electronic magazine.
What show was your TV debut?
The first TV show I ever did was “Nokia First Chance” and the funny thing about me being on that show was that I was not the one originally billed to host the show. The mystery was that, there was this day I was having a brief chat with the producer, Mr. Segun, concerning the company and how we were supposed to get the contestants to submit their pictures early, so that we make it available for mobile download. We were also having a discussion about television in general, how a lot of people regard presenters as being razz and also how local TV shows lack good content and are not expanded. So, I was like do you know what; it’s really hard to know all the good people out there. He gave me a challenge , that since everyone was complaining that these guys are not good, why don’t you host the show and I was like, you think I can’t do it? you know what , get the camera’s ready let’s start it. Ever since, I have never looked back.
While growing up as a child, did it ever occur to you that someday you were going to be a presenter?
No, growing up as a child, I had always wanted to be a photo model, a rapper and basically a singer. Doing music has been my number one passion and it’s still my number one passion.
So you never thought of being a presenter?
No, I thought it was embarrassing to be on TV as a presenter.
What’s the deal you have with the organizers of Nigerian Idol TV reality show?
I am working alongside Tiwa Savage, as the host for the Nigerian Idol Season II reality show.
How has it been so far hosting the Season II of Nigerian Idol music reality show?
It has been a worthwhile experience working alongside Tiwa Savage, Yinka Davies, Jeffery Daniels and Charles Boy. It’s been so amazing seeing Nigerian youths from all parts of the country exhibiting terrific music talents and a very impressive vocal dexterity. In fact, being on the train of Nigerian Idol season II has added much to my career as a presenter.
If called upon to host it again, will you avail yourself?
It will be such a great honour to do that again because it’s a music TV reality show that stands out from the rest.
Have you ever been involved with other top TV shows before coming on board the Nigerian Idol train?
Yes, like I said earlier, I hosted Nokia First Chance; I was at Nigezie as a brand manager, presenter and music concept producer. I was also a presenter, producer with Sound City radio; then we used to have seven days a week radio show.
What has been your driving force so far in the industry?
The challenge of showing Nigerians that we are really talented and that we can actually meet international standard in our productions. I tag myself as the Nigeria’s number one radio and TV reality personality. I use the word urban, they like to look good and talk good. I think Nigerians are the best people in the world, because we have the best from everywhere.
What kind of productions are you basically into?
Most of our productions are basically youth oriented, very edgy, filled with fun and very vibrant. We always come out with new stuffs, if you listen to our radio show called “Radio Outloud with Nokia”. It runs on 51 radio stations across Nigeria, it is the coolest radio show that has large listenership. We host top celebrities. Also, we are working on a programme called Super Producers on TV. We are having everybody from Dr. Frabz to Samklef and hopefully Don Jazzy and Cobhams.
Are you still doing stuffs with Soundcity?
No, I left Soundcity almost three years ago.
Why?
Oh!  Because I now run my own media company called “Contagious Collective”. We are the producers of the radio show called “Radio out loud”.
What made you take up the job of hosting Nigerian Idol Season II?
One word, because it’s called IDOL. Idol tagged reality shows are always the number one reality show in the world when it comes to music, anywhere in the world.
Did you apply to be taken as the host or you were called by the organisers?
No, they called and told me about the job. They told me that they were doing auditions and invited me to come and try my luck and talent. At the audition, I met a lot of my friends like O.C. Ukeje and lots of other top presenters. It was quite a challenge, but thank God I made it.
What special qualities would you say landed you the job?
Honestly, it’s God and I am a very jovial person, easy going, simple and I have fun doing this job.
Aside presenting, what else are you into?
Like I said earlier, I am a TV and radio show producer. I am also into entertainment and strategy consultancy. I consult for brands on how to create properties.
What’s your relationship status?
I am not in any relationship but currently having an affair with my career.
Do you want people to believe that you don’t have any woman in your life?
The truth is I have lots of female friends. Anyway, if you care to know, her name is Queen Victoria (my mum).
What’s your idea of a wife?
I don’t have one yet, when I get there, I will know.
What do you admire in a woman?
Beauty and brain, I don’t like dumb chickens.
When are we expecting you to walk down the aisle?
That will be when I have met my missing rib.
How do you relate with your female fans?
I relate with them well, they are wonderful and I try to respect them because they are some of the biggest motivations in this industry.
Have you ever had a public embarrassing moment where a woman meets you and says you broke her heart and stuffs like that?
Men! Look at me. I am a nice guy, I don’t get to screw angry women, I screw only happy women.
Do you have any regrets in life?
My only regret is that my album is not out yet. And also, due to my nature and how simple I am, and because I treat everybody equal with respect, lots of people tend to take advantage of that so much on me.
What is that you are not, people think you are?
A lot of people think that I am not Nigerian, which is weird.
But your looks don’t depict that?
Oh! My mum is not a Nigerian but my father is.
What determines your fashion sense?
My fashion sense is strictly urban although, I work in native attires once in a while.
 What is fashion to you?
Fashion to me is looking great; it is not wearing the biggest brand. Fashion is not always wearing what is trending. Looking good at all times to me is fashion.
So, you don’t wear clothes because of labels?
No, I don’t. I wear clothes depending on how they fit me.
What else are we expecting from you soon?
My official album is coming out soon, check it out. I am going to be having some amazing collaborations with some top Nigerian music artistes. I have a solo song on radio called “Anyhow”, produced by Dr. Frabz.

No comments:

Post a Comment