Friday 1 June 2012

Nollywood: Actor and director Ikechukwu Onyeka talks on From Okada rider to global filmmaker



The rags-to-riches story of Nigerian-born international filmmaker, Ikechukwu Onyeka will surely cart home awards if scripted as a blockbuster flick.
From a very tough and rough beginning, which led to his dropping out of school in SSS1 and opting to join the league of the daily increasing Lagos motorcycle (Okada) riders, Onyeka, who also grew up in one of the city’s slums had seen it all.
Today, he’s an acclaimed filmmaker with over 90 great works to his creative credit and still counting.
In this riveting encounter with EE, the producer/director, who recently sauntered in from Colorado, US, where he’s currently studying Filmmaking with emphasis on Cinematography, told us the moving story of his life and how he eventually conquered.
Read below for the excerpts.

You have been away for some time now; tell us about your sojourn outside the country?
I went to the United States, Colorado Film School on a four-year course to study filmmaking, majoring in cinematography. I have been away for over four months before coming back.
Are you done with the course?
No, I still have about eight months ahead, because based on my experience the school decided to shorten my duration to just two years. I also made distinction in our first semester exams.
You are a very busy filmmaker here and have been out of the country for some time now to study filmmaking; why the decision to go for this course?
Well,  I think  one  of the basic reasons  was the  fact that as a  filmmaker  you are pursuing certain  fulfillments  in your career, and the  only fulfillment I have not found is that I have not shot any movie that I would say I like. For every movie I shoot, I usually feel that it could have been better.  And  sometimes it  could be my fault, sometimes it’s based  on what  I had  at my  disposal, and  sometimes it’s always the  Nollywwod factor of not having enough cash and time to  explore.  I thought I needed a break, a push and something better than what I had always been doing. These are some of the reasons that prompted me to go for this course. Again, I’m  looking  at  the  future; I might have  to retire or lecture as a film school  instructor,  hence I actually needed a degree  in  filmmaking.
Instead  of  four  years you are  doing this course  for just about a year and half;  why this  special  concession  for you?
The school  saw what I have  done  in the past and saw  that they were very  good and  so decided to transfer most  of them  as credit to me.  So that took away about two years plus for me.
How does that make you feel?
It makes me feel real good. It makes me feel that there is hope for Nollywood and that the future is here for us.
Aside your family, what else brought you back to Nigeria?
I have this  project  that I am  supposed  to do  with  Oakfil Production and it is a story that I’m very  passionate about. It’s a story I wouldn’t like to be lost in the crowd. It’s something I am looking at  using  to re-launch myself back  to where I’m  supposed  to be. It’s a movie  that I want  to give my best to and It’s actually the first  project that  I’m shooting  since  I came back.
We learnt you are the first Nigerian to be admitted  into this school, how  does that make you feel?
For me, it doesn’t sound special anyway but it makes me have a lot of attention in the school. And then Nollywood is already big and popular outside of this shore and that makes the school to be more interested in me. They are making  sure  I  don’t leave  the school; they want  to make  sure  I graduate there, hence they are doing all  they can  to make  sure I graduate  from there.
How do you intend to give back to Nollywood when you are done with this programme?
My drive is to bring this knowledge back home.
I am currently working on a situation where we could take some Nigerian directors there for a month course. We are working on that but I don’t want to say much on it till that aspect is concluded. My drive is to make  sure  other Nollywood directors get this knowledge because if  we have a greater percentage  of people who understand  filmmaking, that means greater percentage  of our films  would be  good. From there  we might possibly regain our lost glory because the reason  Nollywood has a lot of  problems is because there are too many bad movies, as a result  of this even when you know Mr. A makes a good movie people  don’t get  to see it because they are all classified as bad Nollywood movies. Now if we have greater percentage of the people making good movies, that means we will regain our followers because we’ve lost so many followers over the years.
So you are part of those championing this new direction for Nollywood?
Yes, by the grace of God.
Who is Ikechukwu Onyeka?
Ikechukwu is just a man across the street- that is the way I still see myself. I have not changed from that guy who rode okada like about ten to fifteen years ago here in Lagos.
How many years did you ride Okada?
About a year.
What led you into the business of Okada riding?
Unemployment was the first reason, and secondly the fact that I hate being dependent. I hate asking for money, I hate being there without doing anything for myself. I enjoy earning a living by my  struggle, otherwise  as  at the time I went  into  riding  okada  I hadn’t any reason to  do that kind  of  job.
Were you married then?
No.
 How did the transformation from Okada rider to a filmmaker happen?
It’s a transformation that only God can explain, which is why I have never taken life too seriously. And I think I am a man who lives by the grace of God. I still cannot explain how I got here. When I say I can’t explain that is the only sentence that I could use for the transformation.
How did you come into Nollywood?
I came into Nollywood in 1999
As an actor or what?
(Laughter) As an observer! I had contact with Charles Ugboma while riding Okada and we had a chat. When he heard the way I speak, he said okay, I could act. He then invited me then to the defunct Ekoas hotel. I went there and at the end nothing happened. But I kept going to Ekoas and that was how I met Kingsley Okereke, and we became friends. We started doing props…and here we are today.
My company is Icon production, incorporated and domiciled in New York and I also have Icon pictures limited. I am also a marketer.
Where is Ikechuwu Onyeka from and where did you grow up?
I am from Umuoji in Anambra State.
I have been in Lagos all my lives. I was not born in Lagos but I came to Lagos at a very tender age. My parents are retired in the east now. They shouldn’t be in Lagos at the age they are now.
Before coming into Nollywood, apart from your Okada business, what else were you doing?
Nothing, I think sometime when I say this people won’t understand; I have no reason to be a success story.  I grew up in a slum (Amukoko). Nobody gave me a chance; nobody thought I was going to make it. But inside of me  I had always known that I have  something, but I was just waiting  for an  opportunity  to show  it, and I knew  it was going to  come. I could feel it right inside of me. So that actually helped me not to soil my hands in crimes and some other things my mates were then doing in the slum. I always felt success inside of me but I never knew how it was going to come.  That is why most  times I tell people  I have never  worked  for most things I have made…every  success I have I ever achieved have  come most of the  times  on a platter  of gold.
We are seven in my family.
Funny enough, my family knew I was going to be somebody, so it wasn’t surprising to them, even when I dropped out of school, in SSS1. I woke up one morning and I told everybody that I would no longer be going to school, it was shocking to everybody. But I tell you, even now I have not lost anything dropping out of school. I stand shoulder to shoulder with even Master degree holders. I have not lost anything in terms  of academics and I have never  gone to any school  since the day I dropped  out in the early 80s, till now that I went  to the  United States.
Is it right to say that Nollywood was your turning point?
I might not hold it to Nollywood. But I think it was the drive for success. In all my life’s struggles, I have always hated being lost in the crowd; I have always wanted to stand out in whatever I do. But what I don’t like is making noise about what I do, I like doing things in the background.  If  I knew I was going to be successful as a  filmmaker maybe I  wouldn’t  have  used my real name, maybe  I  would have avoided  pictures. I enjoy my privacy. I enjoy it most when someone picks up a film and enjoys it without knowing that I am the one involved with it.
Like how many movies have you shot so far?
To be modest maybe like 30, then if I want to blow it I would say maybe like 90.
Were they all commercially successful?
At least 85 percent of my movies are all successful.
Which of them catapulted you to limelight?
What happened to me which is why I see myself as being privileged  is that my first movie which was in 2005 entitled The Future King was  successful. After that I shot another movie called Unforeseen.  Unforeseen was a movie where Ini Edo played a tripartite character.  After that I did Eagles Bride which got about seven nominations from AMAA. From the beginning of my career as a director, I was already pushing towards being popular, so by the time I did Eagles Bride, I had become one of the biggest names in the industry; hence I started shooting too many movies and I started dictating how much I’m being paid and money was coming.
So how successful are you now as a filmmaker?
Well success is relative. What is success financially to me may not be success to another filmmaker.
Are you fulfilled as a filmmaker financially?
No, I am not.
Fulfillment  financially  for me is that time you decide to  shoot a movie  and  you know this movie  is  worth  so,  so amount and you have  that amount. Not when you shoot your movie based on your budget. You should be able to raise your budget based on the movie you are shooting. But currently, what  I  do  is  to  shoot my movie based  on my budget.  So I am looking  at a time  when I  don’t  care  what the  budget  is… I just get my story and give it the budget that it deserves.
Where do you intend taking your brand to in the next five years?
I am trying to move with the brand Nollywood. One of the greatest undoing of our filmmakers here is trying to launch into Hollywood. What I am looking at is that in the next five years, we should be able to make films here that will compete favourably at the Oscars.  Without mincing words, it is possible…very possible. What is the nature of films that make the Oscars? It is content.  And I tell you, Hollywood does not have better content than us; what Hollywood has is presentation. So if we are able to take  our  content and present it  in Hollywood version, which  does not have to  do  with the location.  Slum Dog Millionaire was shot in India in Mumbai, one of the highest density locations in the world, one of the worst slums in the world, but it made it to the Oscars.
Do you think Nollywood currently has what it takes to shoot an Oscar award winning movie?
 I will hesitate a bit to answer that question. The  reason  being  that if you are  talking  in terms of intellect , in  terms  of  understanding filmmaking  as an art,  I think we have  it. But when you now talk about technology that is where I would rather have cold feet. But if you give me the amount of money you gave Peter Jackson, I am going to make a film better than Lord of the Rings. Yes, because for the Lord of the Rings, Peter Jackson had over 300 effects men. It was not Peter Jackson’s issue because the money was there for him to execute what he wanted.
As a filmmaker, what stands you out?
What stands me out which I am sure about is that I am always myself. I don’t try to shoot like this other man. If you check most of my movies you will see a signature… I shoot reactive movies.  I react to the situations, which is actually the Nollywood drive-reactive. If  I come here  now and you want me t o shoot here  as a palace  then we  will begin  to think  on how  to actualize  it. I think that is what has kept me going, I try to be flexible. I try not to emulate people, except for the few who are getting it right.
Do you watch your own movies?
Funny enough I don’t even watch films. That is the bad side. Not even my own films except in the studio, because I usually feel bad after watching my movies. I would think I should have done it better.
In directing I have virtually worked with a lot of people in the industry and I took something from every one of them. I have worked with Lancelot, Andy Amenechi, Charles Inojie, and so many others.  Some of them are good artistically, some are good with shot compositions, some are good with movement and others are good with storytelling. I pick what I need from each of them and put it together and that is what has made me what I am today.
In your class as an international student, how popular is Nollywood among your course mates?
It’s not as popular as  some  of us think it should be, but  the surprising thing is that I  don’t know how  some  of them searched my name out  and discovered that I have been making films. The good thing about the internet movie data base is that you don’t put yourself there, they find you out. When they saw my resume and what I have done they were like ‘what is he doing here?’
Do you think government has done enough for the industry?
Government has not done anything. when I hear people talk about government not having  done anything I feel very sad. It is only here in Nigeria that a filmmaker does not have government representation. Everywhere in the world, I take America as a case study, any candidate that Hollywood supports wins the presidency.
The reason is that the government is in consonance with Hollywood, the revenue that Hollywood makes, if you  take it away from American revenue the government will collapse. That is what this Nigeria government ought  to  do with Nollywood because Nollywood has the potential of generating over 200 billion dollars annually. But it is not forthcoming and the reason is that 90% of the people who make films are business men who do not have the wherewithal to make our movies what it ought to be.  As I speak with you now, when you talk about shooting a low budget movie in India you are talking about over 70 million dollars.
That is a low budget Bollywood movie.  So let’s stop deceiving ourselves.  Sorry to say it that we have bunch of irresponsible people as our leaders and is so sad that the government is not responsive. You see government sending people to Hollywood because they want to launch into it, but here we are neglecting it. Nollywood is like a palm oil to Nigeria. As at 1957 to 1963, Nigeria was the highest exporter of palm oil in the whole world. As at that time Malaysia was never even mentioned as a palm oil producing country.  Today Malaysia is the highest exporter of palm oil. And they came to learn from us. That is what Nollywood is doing. Look at the Ghana market. Ghanaian stars are bigger than our stars. I don’t care what you think about it but I’m telling what I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment