Sunday 18 March 2012

The good, bad and ugly sides of 9ice's concert

9ice on stage
The crowd at the 9ice concert, which held at the Expo Hall of the Eko Hotel and Suites last week, was fairly okay. 9ice, ‘the man of the moment’ wore a cumulous quilted black satin tuxedo whose collar formed great angel wings. The costume had the curious effect of making him look like a magician. Indeed, it was billed to be a night of fun and pleasure. And so it turned out to be.
Even though by 7 p.m. when the show was expected to have started, the 5,000 capacity deluxe hall of the venue was yet to be filled.
As usual, the stern-looking security guards at the entrance complied with the order of not allowing any form of digital recording such as cameras and camcorders inside the hall. However, inside the hall, fans waited for the duo of Wazobia FM’s, Yaw and Nollywood actress, Funke Akindele to officially start the show. During this time, the more patient among the fans were treated to comedy clips on large projector screens from past shows staged by the same organizers.
 Among the dignitaries were: Governor Fashola’s wife, Abimbola who came with her entourage, Beat FM Boss, Chris Ubosi was there alone, Osita Iheme, Kwam 1 among other dignitaries. Toni Payne, the estranged wife of 9ice was also there with her baby, Zion. And of course, Mrs, Akande, 9ice’s mother to whom a song was dedicated to was there flashing a radiant smile.


 “This is a special night,” says 9ice mum, who was seated at the VIP corner in the hall. “I am happy my son is having this concert and I am proud to be here as well. He is doing well and we are glad back at home seeing him do what he loves to do best. We are full of joy and our profound gratitude goes to God for giving us the boy.”
With 9ice’s status as a lover of cultural and traditional heritage, the double-deck stage structure was designed traditionally, while arks designed with local mats housed a four-piece live band and a DJ area. DJ Jimmy Jatt was in the building. Starting on a low drive, the show hauled on to slow opening with a performance by up and coming artistes backed by dancers who paved way for the cultural  group to usher in the man of the night on stage with the ‘Ijo mini’ track. In no time, 9ice was on stage singing and entertaining his fans with his signature dance style.
Thereafter, a combination of energetic performances were dropped by known acts including Wande Coal, Davido, Kwam1, KC and P Square. From that energetic opening, it was a rollercoaster of performances from 9ice including fresh songs from his double studio albums. Highlights of the three-hour performance included duets with other acts like Tiwa Savage, Wizkid, Kwam 1, Vector, and P square. Also, the show gave an avenue for the Codedtunes all stars to reunite as they all came on stage to dazzle with their old songs. 9ice further wowed the audience when he introduced his baby, Zion with a special rendition.
Meanwhile, the low point of the show occurred when the sound went off on the stage at the tail end of a 9ice performance. And Tiwa Savage’s wardrobe malfunction got the audience screaming. An embarrassed Savage dashed backstage where she remained for close to five minutes as her manager battled to remedy the situation.
Great performances by Kwam 1, P Square, Tiwa, Don Jazzy, Wizzy, Wande Coal, KC, Davido, May D among others set the show aside. It got virtually all the guests asking for more. It was indeed a night of glitz.

Stars heap praises on 9ice
VECTOR
Everything about the album was good. 9ice is a great artiste. He is a phenomenon, and what else can you say about a great man? Working with him was good I enjoyed it. The two albums are good, so it is difficult for me to choose the best from the two albums. If I have to do, I will be partial, because I was the only artiste he featured on Bashorun, so I will choose that. But Versus is still a great album that featured many great artistes. I wish the albums well. It has already done well in the market and I hope and pray it will break more grounds.

BOVI

I am excited to be here. I came here to have fun and so far, it has been so good. I want the albums to pick more than the previous ones, I don’t understand Yoruba but his music cuts across, I am his fan.

WANDE COAL

I am so happy being here, I am here to show my support to a star, a friend and somebody I look up to in the industry. Bashorun and Versus have already started doing well in the market, and we hope it does better. I am going to have lots of fun; I will be performing, so I am looking forward to having a nice time.

SKALES

Wow, 9ice is a legend that is just the perfect word to describe him. The Bashorun and Vesus albums are very good, with lots of features from Nigerian music great, like Tuface, Tiwa Sawage, Duncan Mighty, Wizkid and my boss himself, Banky W. Bringing all these stars together is something huge and the songs are great. My favourite out of the two albums is Versus, because of collabos with Wizkid in the album ‘On point’ and the collaboration with my boss, Banky W.

Funke Akindele

Today is my day of joy and we have all come to rejoice in it. I would like you all to have fun to the fullest this night because this is the beginning of a good thing.

Ayo Makun

9ice is another good guy I admire. The guy has defined his style of music and he has gotten all us to love him. I am glad the show turned out to be a good one and I am enjoying myself.
Weird MC
It’s another artistes’ night and we are partying hard already. I am happy for 9ice, I am happy for Alapomeji and Codedtunes Records. They have all done well. The show is nice and 9ice’s music is fine. I love it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment